"Brain, shake out thy water, dog-like." -- Ron Padgett

Friday, October 18, 2013

More about long lines: For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry

I am shocked at myself!

I can't believe that I didn't show you some Christopher Smart.

Christopher Smart was born in England in 1722. He is recently famous for a relatively newly discovered long poem called Jubilate Agno.

Thing is, Smart became insane, so consumed was he with religious fervour. But the guy could write. AND, he wrote about God, but also about his (Christopher's, not God's) cat, Jeoffry.

Really amazing stuff.

Here are two excerpts, both different, both using anaphora -- lines which repeat the opening few words -- and both with long lines.

Check it, lovers of cats and long lines:

For I will consider my Cat Jeoffry

Let Helon rejoice with the Woodpecker



No comments:

Post a Comment